In an truly disgraceful fashion, the Blackhawks were able to fight off the pesky Hurricanes at the back end of the uncommon home back-to-back. Below are a couple of notes about the game:
- Scott Darling was nothing short of exceptional. Stopping 39 of 40 shots on the night, he has proven to the entire league, again, that he may be ready to be a full-time goaltender. Without Darling’s play tonight, it would have been an ugly one.
- The Blackhawks were about as lazy with the puck as I have ever seen. Countless turnovers and bad passes led to a plethora of odd-man rushes for Carolina, all but one of which Scott Darling bailed them out of. The Blackhawks need to limit these turnover and maintain more offensive-zone possession if they want to be able to take down the NHL’s top dogs in the future. I’m looking at you, TvR. Please never pinch in the offensive zone with 10 seconds left in a period ever again.
- The two goal scorers were Toews and Panarin, who both seem to be heating up. If any forward played well at all tonight, it was Toews, which is a sigh of relief for everyone around. Toews earned the 2nd Star of the Game, which was close to my prediction of 1st Star for the night, but I’ll certainly take it.
- Despite being outplayed in every facet of the game except goals, the Hawks found a way to win the game. This is what good hockey clubs do, but no team gets away with it forever. Carolina had plenty of chances to cause mayhem tonight, but they couldn’t close the deal.
- Carolina stinks.
- Michal Kempny played well again, but only logged 12 minutes of ice time. Hopefully Q gives him some more time in the future, and less to van Riemsdyk until he figures out how to get the puck out of his own zone.
- The Hawks have taken 4 of 4 potential points during this short homestand, with only Nashville and Detroit left. 3-4 more points would make for an excellent confidence boost for them before they head to Washington to take on the Capitals next Friday (1/13).
That’s it for tonight, have a good weekend. Look for a Blackhawks-Predators pre game article from me Sunday before puck drop.